Chocolate Dipped Orange Peel Candy
Serve these out to diners as after meal treat or sell them in your restaurant as a sweet snack because whether you are a child or an adult, everyone loves candy.
Cooking & Preparation
1. Gently wash the outside of the Sunkist under the faucet with a vegetable brush.
2. Slice off a small amount of the top and bottom of the Sunkist.
3. Score orange through the peel to spongy white tissue, making 4 cuts lengthwise.
4. Carefully remove each section of Sunkist peel and slice into ¼ inch wide strips.
5. Put Sunkist peel strips in a pot and cover with about 1 inch of water.
6. Bring to a boil and drain over a colander and repeat boil & strain step once more.
7. Add Sunkist peel strips back to the pot with 2 cups of water, 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla bean. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
9. Simmer uncovered for about 30-35 minutes till peels are slightly translucent with most of the simple syrup has evaporated.
10. Turn off heat and let peels cool in the remaining sugar for 5 minutes.
11. Transfer peels with a tong to a drying rack set over parchment paper and dry for 8 to 24 hours.
12. Coat peels in additional sugar and dip in melted chocolate and cool. Sprinkle optional condiments for custom flavor.
Preparation & Cooking time- 55 mins